Studies consistently show that regular exercise does the body good. Whether you’re looking to lose weight or just get healthier, an accelerated heart can do wonders. And what you eat before and after your workout can make all the difference. The following foods will really help you to get moving.
Before Exercise: Hydration is key. Drink 16 to 20 ounces of water an hour or two before the workout and bring a water bottle with you. Your meal should be around 200 calories and consumed within the hour. Focus on more complex carbs as your body will break it down slowly, releasing a consistent source of energy.
- Whole Wheat Toast
- 1 cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of milk
- High-glycemic fruits like pineapple,
- apricots, banana, mango, and watermelon
- An energy bar with less than 200 calories
After Exercise:Once your body has been worked to the bone, an additional 16 to 20 ounces of water will be just what it needs. It’ll also greatly benefit from the building blocks your body uses to make muscles, hormones, neurotransmitters and bones. Complex carbs are also an essential component of a post workout snack to replace some of the glycogen used to fuel your fitness regimen. Finally, protein will prohibit your body from breaking down muscle and will instead rebuild and repair your muscles.
- Whole wheat toast spread with peanut butter
- A vegetable omelet with an avocado half
- Cottage cheese with fruit
- Oatmeal and fruit
- Chicken and vegetable stir fry